Bad Line-up?
  News    Contact Us    Links    295 Search    RailCity    VRU    
  News & Updates  
  News Archives  
  Agreements & Benefits  
  Rights, Safety & Health  

Railroad workers have been fighting fatigue in the rail industry for decades but the problem persists.
Click here...

295 Meetings
The next meeting of Division 295 will be held on July 11th at 19:00.

Map... | Meeting Schedule... 


Railway Employees - Away From Home Expenses
Published: January 15, 2008
Source: Canada Revenue Agency

You can deduct the cost of meals and lodging when you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You work away from home for a railway company as a telegrapher or station agent in a relief capacity, or carrying out maintenance and repair work for the railway company.
  • You are a railway employee who works away from the municipality and the metropolitan area (if there is one) where your employer's relevant establishment (home terminal) is located. You also work far enough away that it is unreasonable for you to return daily to your home, where you support a spouse or common-law partner, or a dependant related to you.

If you meet one of these conditions, see Meals and lodging (including showers) for more details.

If your employer has paid or will pay you for any part of your meal and lodging expenses, subtract that amount from your claim.

Your employer has to sign Form TL2. You do not have to send this form with your return, but you should keep it in case we ask to see it later.

You may be able to get a rebate of the GST/HST you paid. For more information, see Employee GST/HST Rebate.

Completing your tax return

Complete Form TL2, Claim for Meals and Lodging Expenses and claim your meal and lodging expenses on line 229 of your return. If you still need help completing this form, please contact us by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Forms and publications



News | Contact us | Agreements | Resources | Safety | Site Map | Report A Broken Link

Division 295 - Teamsters Canada Rail Conference - 2018