Asbestos fears after early morning rail
Printer friendly version
|Walter Passarella / Metroland OSHAWA--Firefighters douse
an early morning fire that damaged the control house of the CP
Oshawa Railyard on Stevenson Road South. The yard is situated
across from the General Motors Plant, north of Wentworth Street.
No injuries as empty building burns
OSHAWA -- A fire in Oshawa early Tuesday morning initially prompted
concerns about asbestos, but fire officials have now given the all
The blaze broke out at around 5:30 a.m. in a small vacant building
located in the Canadian Pacific (CP) rail yard on Stevenson Road South
near Wentworth Street.
Three fire trucks and 14 personnel from Oshawa Fire Services responded
and had the flames under control quickly.
The building had been condemned and was slated for demolition. Deputy
Chief John Jeffs said asbestos was present in some areas, causing
initial worry that it could spread into the air.
General Motors, which is located nearby, briefly shut down its
ventilation system as a precaution and the Ministry of the Environment
By mid-morning officials said the asbestos was in an area of the
building untouched by the fire and that there is no cause for concern.
The cause of the fire is not known. Damage is estimated at about